A widget area above your header is the perfect place to add an advertisement banner, important announcements, subscription form, or whatever widgets you need!
1. Open your File Manager in your web hosting cPanel. (Not sure how to find the file manager? Here are instructions for Bluehost, Hostgator, and Godaddy). In your File Manager, follow this path: public_html > your_website_root > wp-content > themes > theme-name > functions.php. If your wp-content folder is located right inside the public_html, disregard the your_website_root portion of the path. Click “code editor” on the Functions.php file.
2. On the child_theme_name line (about five lines down), locate your theme name. It should be one word, like this:
3. Your theme name may be different from the one shown above, so keep it in your head or write it down. You’ll need it soon.
4. Click here and copy all of the code.
5. Scroll down and paste the code at the very bottom of your Functions.php file.
6. There are four places in the code you’ll need to change, and they have been marked with the word THEME. Replace the four instances of THEME with your theme name from steps 2/3. The theme name must be lowercase. Make sure to keep everything else in the code the exact same. When you are done, it should look something like this, with your own theme name instead of ‘hepburn.’
7. Save changes.
8. Go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Editor. Paste this code at the very bottom and then save.
9. Congrats! You’ve created a new widget area above your header. To add widgets to it, go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Widgets and drag any widget(s) you’d like into the “Above Header” section.